When America’s last standing roller rinks are threatened with closure, a community of thousands battle in a racially charged environment to save an underground subculture–one that has remained undiscovered by the mainstream for generations, yet has given rise to some of the world’s greatest musical talent.
For years, roller-skating rinks have been a constant for African-American communities across the U.S., serving as a meeting ground, a place to have fun and an incubator of iconic hip-hop talents like Queen Latifah and N.W.A.
From executive producer John Legend and first-time directors Dyana Winkler and Tina Brown, the documentary United Skates highlights the dynamic world of roller skating, showcasing African-American rinks and skaters across the country as they fight to keep the culture alive and skate their hearts out.
7:30 pm Gates | 8:30 pm Movie Begins
$5 per person. Ticket sales and donations support Utah Film Center & Alta Community Enrichment.
10010 Little Cottonwood Canyon Rd, Alta, UT 84092
In collaboration with Utah Film Center, Alta Community Enrichment is ecstatic to host two days of films under the stars in the mountains of Alta. This year’s films will be United Skates and Big Wave Guardians.
- Each attendee needs a ticket
- Please note, this year attendees will be viewing via low back lawn chairs, not from your car. You must bring your own LOW chairs and they must be 31.5” height or less.
- If two separate households would like to be near each other we recommend arriving at the same time.
- No dogs, unless tagged by the Town of Alta or a ADA service dog.
- Prepare for chilly mountain evenings, bring blankets and layers.
- If you have questions regarding accessibility to our events, please contact Sara Gibbs <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Alta Community Enrichment’s Executive Director.
- This event could not have happened without the support of the US Forest Service, Alta Ski Area, Goldminer’s Daughter Lodge, Alta Chamber & Visitors Bureau, and Utah Film Center.
- Picnic dinners are allowed. NO GRILLS.
- Food and beverages can be purchased at the Goldminer’s Daughter Patio. They will take food orders until 8:15 pm. The movie begins at 8:30 pm.
- Bathrooms are located at the Goldminer’s Daughter through the far east patio door.
Presented in collaboration by