Follow the Drinking Gourd is a feature documentary about the Black food justice movement. Family-friendly, funny, and moving, this 60-minute film connects the legacy of slavery, capitalism, and climate change to our fight for food security. The film is followed by a roundtable discussion with local farmers of color.
The film features:
* Leah Penniman – author of “Farming While Black”
* Naima Penniman – of the award-winning, spoken word duo, Climbing Poetree, recently featured on TED
* Wanda Stewart – urban farmer in Berkeley, CA
* Will Scott – rural farmer in Fresno, CA
* Carl Anthony – environmentalist, founder of Urban Habitat
* Rahanna Bisseret-Martinez – former Top Chef Junior finalist
This film is presented as part of Black, Bold & Brilliant Film Night with support from KRCL.